Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Drifter

“I have managed to merely exist in a life worth living, while you have managed to live in a life worth existing…” This was a line I created for one of my characters in a story I call The Drifter. I let this line sit in the corner of my thoughts gathering dust until I took an inspecting eye to it. This single line of mine inadvertently summed up one of my core beliefs. I believe that you should face your problems head on and overcome them.

When I was much younger I could barely say a single word because of how severe my stuttering speech impediment was. At the age of four, it was so bad that santa couldn’t understand what I asked for. Throughout the years I constantly faced my crutch and after nearly eight years of hard work I was able to erode it to the point of irrelevance in my day-to-day life.

When I was just starting elementary school my father died, this event had a very deep and profound effect on me. The shock of his death caused me to miss large chunks of first grade which left me at a severe disadvantage when compared to everyone else. I lacked the same strong foundation that the leaning tower of Pisa has lacked.

It wasn’t until 3rd grade that I finally was able to begin to overcome my problems. I saw my disadvantage as an obstacle and worked gruelingly to catch up and surpass my peers. I went from the runt of the litter to a strong competitor for leader of the pack.

During all those hardships another issue had arose that if left unchecked would have landed me in Juve hall. My anger was like an abyss with frothing black rapids that threatened to sweep me up in their poisonous currents. It took me 4 or 5 years of arduous mental discipline to finally control those unruly waters. Before I would respond with venom and physical strife, and now when faced with adversity I tighten my jaw and construct a set of simple yet powerfully heavy words.

I believe that by facing your problems and overcoming them you can open opportunities that would never be open to you. If I had never faced my problems I would not be the person that writes this essay today. I took up the gauntlet, persevered, and because of that I have become the polar opposite of who I was in my younger life.

“The Drifter sat hunched in the chair, a joint idly burning between his fingers. A cold chuckle escapes his lips, “The ones on the outside looking in would love to live a life like mine… A life where you’re constantly in strife against yourself.” His voice fades before continuing once more, “… but I would trade it all just to live a single day of peace…” His voice dies off and the only sound to be heard is the ticking of a grandfather clock…”

No comments:

Post a Comment